Sunday, July 4, 2010

Book review : Beginning Oracle Database 11g Administration: From Novice to Professional

I have finished reading the book "Beginning Oracle Database 11g Administration: From Novice to Professional (APress)", by Iggy Fernandez. First of all, I am not a DBA. I'm using Oracle at work, but, most of the time, I'm only using basic SQL. I have nothing to do with database administration, but recently I wanted to know more about Oracle, and this book is just what I needed. The author doesn't go deeply into details, which that is not the purpose of the book. He introduces the most important topics (installation, monitoring, backups, recoveries, tuning...) in a very understandable manner. I don't think that this book will turn anyone into an Oracle Professional, as the title suggests, but it does cover enough material to make you more than a novice. I recommend it highly to anyone who wants to know the basic notions of the Oracle architecture and administration.

I plan to buy "Expert Oracle Database Architecture: Oracle Database Programming 9i, 10g, and 11g Techniques and Solutions" by Thomas Kyte, which is planned to be published this month. For the moment, I'll start reading the Oracle Concepts PDF file, which is available online.

No comments:

Post a Comment